If you manage a facility, chances are you’ve made one or more of the following mistakes in facilities maintenance. Fortunately, they’re all easily avoidable with a little bit of planning and foresight. 1. Not Establishing Priorities 2. Overlooking the Small Things 3. Ignoring Your Budget 4. Failing to Plan for the Future 5. Relying on Outside Contractors
Not Keeping Up with Regular Maintenance
One of the most common mistakes in facilities maintenance is not keeping up with regular maintenance. This can lead to a number of problems, including decreased productivity, increased downtime, and more expensive repairs.
Regular maintenance is essential to keeping your facility running smoothly and avoiding costly downtime. By staying on top of preventive maintenance tasks, you can keep your equipment running at peak efficiency and avoid major repairs.
If you don’t have a regular maintenance schedule in place, now is the time to start one. Work with your team to develop a plan that fits your facility’s needs and make sure everyone is on board with following it. Set aside time each week or month to perform tasks such as cleaning and lubricating equipment, checking fluid levels, and inspecting for wear and tear.
Keeping up with regular maintenance may seem like an extra task on your already full plate, but it will save you time and money in the long run. By taking preventive measures now, you can avoid costly repairs and downtime later on.
Not Knowing What to Delegate and What to Do Yourself
One of the most common mistakes made in facilities maintenance is not knowing what to delegate and what to do yourself. This can lead to a number of problems, including:
– Overworking yourself and your staff
– Not getting the most out of your team
– Missing important details
To avoid these issues, it’s important to take the time to assess your own skills and capabilities, as well as those of your team. Once you know what everyone is capable of, you can start delegating tasks accordingly. Remember, it’s okay to ask for help when you need it – no one expects you to be an expert in everything!
Letting the Office Get Too Messy
One of the most common mistakes in facilities maintenance is letting the office get too messy. This can lead to a number of problems, including decreased productivity, increased stress levels, and more.
There are a few simple ways to avoid this mistake:
– Set up a regular cleaning schedule and stick to it. – Encourage employees to keep their own areas clean and tidy. – Make sure all waste is disposed of properly.
By following these tips, you can help keep your office clean and tidy, which will lead to happier and more productive employees.
Hiring Incompetent Vendors
It’s important to vet your vendors carefully to avoid hiring incompetent ones. Here are some common mistakes made when hiring vendors:
– Not checking references: Be sure to check references and review the vendor’s past work before hiring them.
– Hiring based on price: Don’t just hire the cheapest vendor – be sure to consider quality and experience as well.
– Not having a contract: Always have a contract in place that outlines the scope of work and expectations. This will help avoid misunderstandings down the road.
Not Having a Contingency Plan
If your organization doesn’t have a contingency plan in place for facilities maintenance, you could be setting yourself up for some serious problems down the road. Not having a plan for how to deal with unexpected repairs or maintenance issues can lead to costly delays and disruptions, which can impact your bottom line.
Here are some of the biggest mistakes you can make when it comes to facilities maintenance:
1. Not Having a Contingency Plan
One of the most common mistakes organizations make is not having a contingency plan in place for facilities maintenance. This can lead to serious problems if an unexpected repair or maintenance issue arises, as there may be no clear plan of action on how to deal with the problem. This can result in costly delays and disruptions, which can impact your bottom line.
2. Relying on One Maintenance Provider
Another mistake is relying on just one maintenance provider. While it may seem like a good idea to have all of your eggs in one basket, this can actually lead to more problems than it solves. If your sole provider is unable to meet your needs or goes out of business, you’ll be left scrambling to find another company at the last minute. It’s always a good idea to have at least two or three providers lined up so that you have backup options if needed.
3. Failing to Prioritize Maintenance tasks
If you don’t prioritize maintenance tasks, you could end up dealing with more serious issues down the road.
With a little knowledge and forethought, you can easily avoid these five common mistakes in facilities maintenance. By taking the time to develop a plan and schedule, staying organized, and being proactive about repairs, you’ll be well on your way to keeping your facility in top shape. And, as always, if you have any questions or need help getting started, our team at ABC Facility Maintenance is here to assist.
Duta Swarna Dwipa is B to B MRO Procurement for Industrial Factory Supplies Throughout Indonesia
1. Duta Swarna Dwipa is a B2B MRO procurement company that specializes in industrial factory supplies throughout Indonesia.
2. The company was founded in 2006 and has since grown to become one of the leading suppliers in the country.
3. Duta Swarna Dwipa offers a wide range of products and services, from raw materials to finished goods, and cater to all industries including manufacturing, food and beverage, pharmaceutical, automotive, and more.
4. The company has a team of experienced professionals who are dedicated to providing the best possible service to their clients.
5. Duta Swarna Dwipa is committed to providing quality products and services at competitive prices, and strives to be the best supplier in Indonesia.
- 10 Most Common Building Construction Phase Mistakes. (2022). Retrieved on November 12, 2022, from https://www.facilitiesnet.com/designconstruction/article/10-Most-Common-Building-Construction-Phase-Mistakes–17658.
- 3 Common Plumbing Mistakes Likely In Your Building. (2022). Retrieved on November 12, 2022, from https://www.facilitiesnet.com/plumbingrestrooms/article/3-Common-Plumbing-Mistakes-Likely-In-Your-Building–19280.
- What are the biggest mistakes facility managers make?. (2022). Retrieved on November 12, 2022, from https://www.upkeep.com/learning/facility-manager-mistakes.
- MaintWorld. (2022). Preventative Maintenance Plans: 5 Common Mistakes You Need to …. Retrieved on November 12, 2022, from https://www.maintworld.com/Cmms/Preventative-Maintenance-Plans-5-Common-Mistakes-You-Need-to-Know.